Tuesday, November 08, 2011

The October Monthly Round-up

Better late than never, here's the October monthly round-up.  I have to say, October and November have been crazy busy here.  First, there's been a top-secret negotiation and contract done that I could tell you about, but then I'd have to kill you...or at least be prepared to get my butt kicked for violating an NDA.  Next, my son, Sam, turned one, and so we had family in town.  Oh, and we were all sick.  And, last but not least, I never did find a fall intern, so I currently have no first reader.

So let me be frank.  I'm behind.  In fact, I'm quite behind.  And that situation is unlikely to improve until the holiday break.  So please be patient and remember that with everything we request, we offer the opportunity to order Express Review™ (so if you are really tired of waiting for me to read something, that's always an option).

Okay, here's where I currently stand:

In October, I received...
  • 79 queries and declined 5
  • 3 manuscripts and declined 2
  • 1 sample chapter that I declined.

Now, I have on-hand...
  • 118 queries that I have yet to read
  • 19 sample chapters to read
  • 2 proposals to read
  • 16 full manuscripts, of which three are from current clients

I will let you in on a little clue:  I read paper queries faster.  eQueries™ are easy to let pile up.  They don't take space on my desk.  But paper queries do take up space, so I try to get rid of them one way or another quickly.  The downside, of course, is that if I request something, it's just getting added to the pile.  Then again, I'm only waiting on 5 requested sample chapters.

There's a temptation to close to new queries, but where's the logic in that?  The reality is that I need to get more reading done.  This, of course, is highly dependent on my kids sleeping through the night, so that I'm compos mentis enough to get reading done.  So if you know any tricks to get a three-year-old to stay in bed the whole night (and perhaps a way to increase the size of his bladder), I'd love to hear them.

In the meantime, your patience is, as always, appreciated.  And if you know anyone who wants to intern for me (preferably locally; a "virtual intern" isn't really accountable enough), I'd love to hear from him or her.  Just send him or her to my website's Internships page.

Z


3 comments:

Redleg said...

May I recommend bourbon for your insomniac baby? However, don't mention that little gem to Child and Youth Services. I...uh...don't want my secret to get out.

Chrissy said...

Andy- we here on the other coast (In Blue Hill, Maine) completely understand! Our 19month old daughter caught the flu from her father (one of the authors/chapters currently sitting on your desk) and it turned into Croup and an ear infection. Needless to say he has not gotten any writing done- blog or current novel, I in my super pregnant state am exhausted, and with the holidays looming we both would just really like to get some sleep, which as you know well is easier said than done!

Hang in there- we will as well. We so appreciate the updates so that we know where things stand!

"A man who is a master of patience is master of everything else." -George Savile

Best,
Chrissy Allen
Blue Hill, ME

Joseph Baran said...

Your schedule resembles mine. I’m burning the candle from both ends as I’m trying to set up my blog, revise my query letter for the first novel, write the second novel before I forget its scenes and things, make a living doing something else altogether and do other things that scream for attention, all at the same time.

When I was a little child, I didn’t have long naps, if any, after the lunch or early afternoon. I spent my time drawing and dreaming, of different things and different places. Then in the late afternoon or the evening, my mom would take me outside for a walk or something like that. Being little, having little feet and making little steps, she didn’t have to walk far or spent a lot of time outside for me to lose my steam. Afterwards, I usually slept like a baby.

Once somebody said that patience is a virtue. He was right. But I say that I could use some coffee right about now.

Joseph Baran
Clifton, NJ

Post a Comment

We will not publish Anonymous comments. If you would like to comment, you should sign your comment with your name, city and state, e.g., John Smith, San Diego, CA. Otherwise we will be forced to reject your comment.

Also, please do not query us here or ask if we would "be interested in" your book. Our query guidelines are clearly outlined on our website and you should follow them if you would like us to consider your work.

Thank you.