Monday, November 28, 2011

The Merits of Small Publishers


"I would love to read your thoughts on the merits (or lack thereof) of publishing via small, boutique publishing companies. As a first time author, I get the feeling that I have a better chance of being published if I am able to make a deal directly with a small company, but I fear that I may lose out on potential earnings and exposure versus working to get connected with a major publisher. What are your thoughts."—Kevin Jackson

Small publishers play an important part in the industry, often nurturing newer authors who would otherwise not see print at larger houses.  However, they often pay very small or even no advance.  And authors need to beware of contracts that are grossly advantageous to the publisher.  For example, such contracts may insist on World rights, including audio and even film and television rights.  Larger NY publishers would be less likely to insist on such terms, especially if the author is represented by an agent.

Additionally, smaller publishers may not have the resources to actively promote and market your work.  Even with larger publishers, much of the weight of promoting a first novel falls on the shoulders of the author.  The publisher is not looking to make a bestseller; it is looking to make a profit.

I once heard a New York Times bestselling author complain about how her publisher promoted her work.  It had hit the list around number eight.  She asked her publisher, "How are we getting it to number one?"  They informed her the marketing budget was already spent.  She said, "I understand, but we hit the list.  What can be done to move it up the list?"  They replied, "The marketing and advertising budgets have already been spent."  She ranted and raved about the stupidity of this publisher.  I sat in the back shaking my head.  She didn't get it.  The publisher never expected the book to hit the list.  When it did, it was like hitting a jackpot.  Why keep pouring money onto the table if you are up really big?  One could argue that you are now playing with the house's money, so why not?  I would argue that that is a sucker's bet, as the odds always favor the house.

And perhaps there was more.  Perhaps the titles already on the list were selling in such greater numbers that there was no way to move up the list.  Perhaps the publisher already saw a trend in reorders that said sales were going to drop off, so it would be a losing bet to spend more on marketing.  Either way, it seems petty of the author, whose book was made into a movie and undoubtedly sold hundreds of thousands more copies after that, to complain that her publisher got her onto the bestseller list, but didn't do enough to make it move up the list.

On the other hand, small publishers will do nothing.  Fortunately, in this day and age of blogs and websites, the cost of promotion has come way, way down.  Small publishers and authors can do far, far more for far less.  Alas, we are all inundated with information from websites and Facebook postings, so you have to constantly barrage the end-user to penetrate the natural defenses against such promotions.

So, for many, smaller publishers can be a great opportunity to get into the business.  But there are caveats and authors should given them close attention.

Z

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Great question Kevin, and thanks Mr. Z for posting it.

I have often wondered about that myself. I've felt as if I would be walking a tight rope with no netting if I went any other route than the traditional writer/agent. I know it sounds crazy that I want to worry about writing and not all the legal mumbo jumbo. Makes my little brain hurt to have to be concerned with rights, marketing etc...

Miss Sharp said...

I cringe at the thought of marketing myself.

Maybe a Dale Carnegie course would help? But who's got time for that??

Andrew Zack said...

Miss Sharp: Even authors at major houses with giant deals have to market themselves. It's unrealistic to believe your publisher will do it all. The fact is, it may not do any. So come to terms with that sooner so that you are more successful later.

Z

TheTomeWriter said...

Thanks for posting your thoughts, Mr. Zack! And thanks Michelle and Miss Sharp. I am lucky in that I really enjoy marketing and selling. I have sort of the opposite problem... struggling to find new ways to broaden my audience! I think my facebook friends, family, and writers group buddies are tired of hearing me!! ;-)

Post a Comment

We will not publish Anonymous comments. If you would like to comment, you should sign your comment with your name, city and state, e.g., John Smith, San Diego, CA. Otherwise we will be forced to reject your comment.

Also, please do not query us here or ask if we would "be interested in" your book. Our query guidelines are clearly outlined on our website and you should follow them if you would like us to consider your work.

Thank you.