Friday, October 01, 2010

The September Monthly Round-up

Well, I am definitely missing my intern today.  Not that I have a current intern (applications are accepted via the Internships page on the website), but if I had one, he or she would be writing this.

So, how do the stats look for September:

  • 51 queries received; 59 declined
  • 10 Sample Chapters received; 22 declined
  • 1 Proposal received; 2 declined
  • 0 manuscripts received; 1 declined

We currently have on hand and need to read:

  • 5 Sample Chapters
  • 10 full manuscripts, including one by a current client (and one by a prospective client that's close to 2,000 pages!)

And, just to keep things interesting, my wife and I are expecting our second child any day now, so I've been busy doing all of those "new baby is coming" chores.

Oh, and our website got hacked and needs to be completely overhauled because I thought it was being backed up regularly, but it turned out it was not.

And I've been hustling to get a Rights Guide done for Frankfurt, but the database that produces it was broken and only just recently got fixed.

So I've been busy.  Fortunately those those who have works on submission, my son recently started preschool and hasn't quite adjusted to the new schedule yet, so I take him to preschool and then hang out in the library or lounge there and just work through the reading.  I've decided that's the best way to use the time, rather than lugging a laptop, since I've lost all of my other good reading time since I became a father.  Oh, and because I'm without an intern right now, everything has been getting read by yours truly.

So, wish me luck with the new baby, and please be patient if you have a submission or query with us.

Thanks.

Z

4 comments:

Miss Sharp said...

Thanks for all of your hard work, Mr. Z! There is nothing to compare to children for keeping one busier than one in one's wildest dreams ever thought one could manage without becoming a resident of the nearest funny farm...lol (just kidding, right?)

And thanks for keeping the blog going, I always look forward to your posts.

Andrew Zack said...

You are very kind. Thank you.

Z

LambAround said...

Congrats on your new baby! I just found your blog and am grateful for your insight into the publishing world.

Shannon said...

Good luck with the new baby! My second son is three months old, and there's really nothing more heartwarming than watching his older brother give the baby hugs or kisses. Of course it's not ALL hugs and kisses, but sibling bonds are a wonderful thing.

Post a Comment

We will not publish Anonymous comments. If you would like to comment, you should sign your comment with your name, city and state, e.g., John Smith, San Diego, CA. Otherwise we will be forced to reject your comment.

Also, please do not query us here or ask if we would "be interested in" your book. Our query guidelines are clearly outlined on our website and you should follow them if you would like us to consider your work.

Thank you.