Friday, September 03, 2010

Quicken does not make sounds

I got a new computer recently that has Windows 7 64-bit operating system.  Now, I could rant and rave about what a joke this is, since all Windows 7 really is is Vista dressed up in a new dress.  But you can put a dress on a pig and it's still a pig and Windows 7 is really just Vista.

But this is not the point of this post.  As a longtime Quicken user, I got curious when I installed Quicken 2010 for Home & Business and noticed that there were no sounds.  Okay, I admit it, I find that little register sound reassuring.  Like I'm making money or something.  Cha-Ching!  And there were no sounds.

So I started doing some research and I found all kinds of posts in various places about this, all wondering why Quicken doesn't make sounds and mostly under Windows 7 64-bit.  One fix, from the Quicken website, suggested a selected start using msconfig and other arcane DOS steps.  Gimme a break!  What is this?  1994?  I think not.

So I did what I always do when I hit a wall with an Intuit product.  I called the Intuit Office of the President and expressed my frustration, dissatisfaction, and general desire to napalm the company headquarters.

After three or four missed phone calls back (Quicken tech support can only call out; you can't call them back), I finally connected to a nice guy named Matt, who sent me to the article I've linked to above and will link to again here:  http://quicken.intuit.com/support/articles/getting-started/setting-up-quicken/7904.html.  Supposedly this will get your Quicken sounds back.  However, it didn't work for me.  So Matt asked me to send him the log files and then got all gushy about how "nice" my install log file was.  Seriously, I could almost hear the guy drooling.

Anyhow, maybe this will fix the problem for some of you.  I hope it does.  And if it does not, I suggest you call the Intuit Office of the President and express your dissatisfaction.

There is a lesson here, of course.  I guess more of us should have switched to Microsoft Money and then there would be more competition out there for Quicken!

Z

5 comments:

Mark said...

I too experienced the same problem. I installed Quicken 2011 Premier today on a new Dell Windows 7 64 bit machine and was surprised to find I had no sound. Using Quicken for over a decade, you become accustomed to the Open sound and the "ca-ching" of adding a transaction.
I tried the fix you listed as well with no success. I'm wondering if a solution has been found.

Anonymous said...

Same for me. Exactly. I have tried Quicken support through chatting. I have checked all available advice from their website. It should be a straightforward installation, but the sound simply will not work. Sound files are available and will play if one clicks on them through windows explorer, but they will not play through Windows control panel sounds applet. The download and replacement of "Windows 7" sounds through the Quicken website also does not work. Extremely frustrating.

Phil said...

Same exactly. Support has not been helpful. Every suggestion or download has failed to fix the problem. No sound for Quicken 2011.

Phil said...

Exactly same problem.

KauaiMark said...

Me also. I finally found a partial fix. By "partial" I mean only the opening sounds when you open Quicken 2010. (ie: The "register" sound effect doesn't work when you enter a check)

..Mark

Post a Comment

We will not publish Anonymous comments. If you would like to comment, you should sign your comment with your name, city and state, e.g., John Smith, San Diego, CA. Otherwise we will be forced to reject your comment.

Also, please do not query us here or ask if we would "be interested in" your book. Our query guidelines are clearly outlined on our website and you should follow them if you would like us to consider your work.

Thank you.