Friday, September 10, 2010

HP LaserJet 1012 installed on Window 7

Thanks for nothing, HP!  You advertise how great Windows 7 is, but you don't actually offer printer drivers for one of your most popular printers under Windows 7:  the LaserJet 1012.  For those of you looking to make it work, here's what I did:


Go to Start and Devices and Printers and Add a Printer.

Search for your printer and when you go to install it, say Have Disk.  Point it to the files you downloaded and use the Vista drivers.

Now, since I have a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo and my printer is hooked up to that, my install is a bit different than some.  For a long discussion and different options, look here:  http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Windows-7-Beta-and-test/Windows-7-x64-RC-Build-7100-and-HP-Laserjet-1012-Driver-not/td-p/83178.  Especially interesting was this post, which doesn't work for me, since my printer is not installed locally, but perhaps it will work for you:

Delete your existing HP 1010/1012/1015 in "Devices and Printers" (also on any shared network computers)
Go to Device Manager
Click on IEEE1284.4 Devices
Right Click on DOTS4 USB Printing Support - go to properties
Click Update Driver
Click Browse for driver software on your computer
Click Let me pick from a list of devices on my computer
Click USB Printing Support
Click Close Windows

Go back to Devices and Printers
Click Add Printer
For the local port choose USB001 (Virtual port for USB)
For the Driver, point to the Vista Host Base Driver folder
It does not matter if you choose 1010 1012 or 1015 as it is the same driver

Now, my ReadyNAS supports  Bonjour, which is an Apple product.  I found that installing Bonjour Print Services for Windows helped speed things up and actually seems to have solved a major problem I was having printing emails from Outlook 2007.  You can download it here:  http://support.apple.com/kb/DL999.

I would love to know if they solved this problem printing emails from Outlook in the 2010 version.  It's super-annoying.  Sometimes an email will print, often it will not.  And given the number of hits on the web about this problem, I doubt it's my printer set-up (plus that same set-up works with Word just fine, as well as QuickBooks).  So if you are having problems printing emails in Outlook 2007, try installing Bonjour Print Services for Windows.  Just remember that after you do that, you have to change your printer selection.  For example, I now have two versions of the HP LaserJet 1012 in my printers list.  One is the regular one and one is controlled by Bonjour.

Adios!

Z

1 comment:

sarabose said...

Thank you for all your resources.














HP 1010 Driver

Post a Comment

We will not publish Anonymous comments. If you would like to comment, you should sign your comment with your name, city and state, e.g., John Smith, San Diego, CA. Otherwise we will be forced to reject your comment.

Also, please do not query us here or ask if we would "be interested in" your book. Our query guidelines are clearly outlined on our website and you should follow them if you would like us to consider your work.

Thank you.