Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Supporting Writers' Groups

Recently I decided to join three writers' groups to show my support for writers in those genres.  The groups are:

  • The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America
  • The Romance Writers of America
  • The International Thriller Writers

I've previously been a member of SFWA, but not of RWA or ITW.  ITW is actually fairly new, but I've been impressed by its newsletter and its goal of expanding readership of their genre.

RWA has long had a reputation for working with publishers to improve the quality of romance novels published and its members are among the most professional of writers.  And now that I represent romance, it seems appropriate that I should join.

I look forward to exploring the online communities of these organizations and receiving queries from their members.

Z

1 comment:

HemlockMan said...

I stopped joining these writers groups. There's something about them that bothered me...especially after having memberships in some of them. Even after participating in an appointed capacity for one of them.

In the end, it was obvious to me that they were breaking down into little sub-groups and cliques. Much of it began to be infected with professional nepotism. I lost interest in them and cannot recommend any of these organizations.

Post a Comment

We will not publish Anonymous comments. If you would like to comment, you should sign your comment with your name, city and state, e.g., John Smith, San Diego, CA. Otherwise we will be forced to reject your comment.

Also, please do not query us here or ask if we would "be interested in" your book. Our query guidelines are clearly outlined on our website and you should follow them if you would like us to consider your work.

Thank you.