Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Not My Two Cents, Please

In case you haven't noticed, the postage rates just went up and much to my surprise I'm still getting query letters with SASEs bearing only a forty-two-cent stamp.

Folks, the US Postal Service announces these things waaaaaaay in advance. And no agent responds to every query the day he or she gets them, so you really need to anticipate and put the right postage on your self-addressed, stamped envelope (SASE). Don't expect the agents to be making up the difference. Do you know how many queries some agencies get? Dozens a week; sometimes hundreds. We may not, but our time is valuable, also, and running down to the PO to get two-cent stamps to make up for authors who didn't plan for the increase is not currently on our to-do list.

If we've had your sample chapter or manuscript for a while and need to respond using the SASE, we will certainly pop for the two cents, but if you queried us on Friday, May 8th, and the rates were going up on Monday, May 11th, and you just put a forty-two-cent stamp on there, don't blame us if the USPS brings it to you postage-due.

Z

2 comments:

Pab Sungenis said...

The secret I've found over the years is to stock up on "forever" stamps right before an increase. Next to my monitor I have a stack of about 50 SASE's, each of them with "forever" stamps.

I made the stack (and bought the stamps) when postage was still 41 cents! Thus, I'm saving three cents on every SASE I send out, AND I don't have to worry about the rate going up while my queries sit on an agent's desk.

Unfortunately, I've had a chance to get most of them back with rejections over the years, as well. Thus I hate the look of the things.

Still, it's a smart idea for budding writers: "forever" SASE's save you a lot of headaches down the road.

Katrina Stonoff said...

I only buy forever stamps, then I don't have to worry about it. I don't even have to keep track of what the current rate is.

Post a Comment

We will not publish Anonymous comments. If you would like to comment, you should sign your comment with your name, city and state, e.g., John Smith, San Diego, CA. Otherwise we will be forced to reject your comment.

Also, please do not query us here or ask if we would "be interested in" your book. Our query guidelines are clearly outlined on our website and you should follow them if you would like us to consider your work.

Thank you.