Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Publishers who think "outside the box"?

I view articles published, author sites (authors I read), and visit a couple agent sites (this obviously being one). I do not visit on-line communities where writers publish their issues/stories. I am not interested in hearing rants of writers or hopefuls, however legitimate they may be. It is hard to judge truthfullness [sic] when one is reading a passioned [sic]statement made of a rejection or amidst a problem. Such rants may lose their heat once time has passed. Therefore, I do not wish to be colored by an opinion or two that may change once a writer has cooled down and realizes the merit or truthfullness [sic] in said rejection or a problem is corrected to satisfaction. That being said, I have read some articles on publishers offering deals outside the norm in the industry. One such publisher seems to invite only agent free author submissions. While the deals sound good, and some authors have made it without agents when they started, do you think it wise to submit to this type of publishing firm? And do you think it wise for anyone other than an author with publishing success to seek these type of deals with or without an agent? Thank you for any time/attention you can give this query.—Christine Staeven, Green Bay, Wisconsin.

Without knowing more about these deals made "outside the norm," it's hard for me to comment. That said, a publisher who actively seeks only authors without agents clearly is trying to avoid something. Otherwise, why fear agent involvement? My guess is that they know an agent will understand something the average author does not and call them on it.

I know of even some major publishing divisions interested in doing non-standard deals, such as a net share of each dollar earned, rather than a royalty based on MSRP. And these can be good deals for some authors, though likely better for most publishers.

Publishers do not come up with such "outside the box" deals to enrich authors. They devise them to enrich themselves. Thus, I would be wary.

Given that many an editor in the business has no idea what his or her publishing house's contract says or what it means, I think it always wise that authors use an agent who has several years' experience.

Z



1 comment:

cmstavenwise said...

I really should use spell check in my emails too I guess....

Thanks for the advice, I was of like mind, but it never hurts to hear a voice "in the know".
Christine Staeven, Green Bay, Wisconsin

Post a Comment

We will not publish Anonymous comments. If you would like to comment, you should sign your comment with your name, city and state, e.g., John Smith, San Diego, CA. Otherwise we will be forced to reject your comment.

Also, please do not query us here or ask if we would "be interested in" your book. Our query guidelines are clearly outlined on our website and you should follow them if you would like us to consider your work.

Thank you.