Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Where have I been?

Where have I been? Well, in truth, blogging here is more about keeping up with potential clients and currently we’re closed to new queries and submissions. We have a ton to read and haven’t been as successful as we’d like in getting through that reading pile. We don’t want to add to it at this moment.

Interestingly enough, I’m still getting forwards of the occasional query letter or sample chapter that were sent to my New York address. Once again, please note that I’m no longer in New York! I’ve moved to chilly San Diego. Yes, chilly. The weather here has been colder than NYC on more than one day this past month. It’s crazy and my wife is blaming it all on me. She says I brought the cold weather west with me. I told her I’d be happy to move back east. No bites yet.

The other thing keeping me busy has been the search for a permanent work space. We are currently renting in a temporary location. In about a month, we’ll be moving. Yes, again. Oy. But it will be a beautiful new place with more room and we’re looking forward to it.

In the meantime, a lot has been happening with our clients. Perhaps you’ve seen Patrick O’Donnell on Book TV talking about his great new nonfiction work, WE WERE ONE? Or perhaps you’ve read some of the great reviews for Kathleen Winters’s new biography, ANNE MORROW LINDBERGH: First Lady of the Air? If you like nonfiction, both of these are winners.

On the fiction side, Sheryl Anderson and her husband Mark Parrott are putting the finishing touches on their fourth novel in the Molly Forrester series, KILLER RIFF Yes, it’s about the music biz. You have read KILLER HEELS, KILLER COCKTAIL, and KILLER DEAL, right? If not, get going so you’ll be all caught up by the time the new one comes out.

Well, that’s the quick update. Check back soon. I’ll be making a better attempt at publishing witty and urbane commentary here more often. Or at least something. :)

Z

5 comments:

Ric said...

Wondered if you were ever going to resurface. Thought perhaps you were merely extending your honeymoon.
Nice to see you back.

SAND STORM said...

I actually thought you had left the business. Miss your old days on AbsoluteWrite.

Andrew Zack said...

Definitely have not left the business. But when you sell a home, move yourself and your business across country, then get married, then train for and ride another 109+ mile bike ride for Leukemia & Lymphoma, then look at 75 houses in search of a good one and buy one that needs a ton of work.... Well, you can imagine why I've had less time here....

As for Absolutewrite, I like the site but found it too time-consuming. The questions were too specific and often came from authors who could have done five minutes of research and found their own answers, I felt. I prefer to speak in general terms than become the "publishing therapist" to many strangers with very specific issues.

L.C.McCabe said...

Andy,

I just discovered your blog whilst websurfing. I was going to add it to my list of subscriptions, but when I tried adding it to Google reader it gave me the error code of saying this blog wasn't syndicated.

Is that true or did I just make an error somewhere? And if you aren't syndicating your blog, can I ask if that was a conscious decision on your part or merely an oversight?

I find it far easier to merely check my Google reader for updates on blogs than to have to consciously remember to go check to see if there have been any updates.


BTW, welcome to the west coast, I live in Sonoma County but have visited San Diego many times.

If you have kids and haven't checked out Legoland yet, you are in for a treat. It is a great theme park without the monstrous Disney lines. My eight year old considers Legoland to be his own spiritual Mecca.

I have a recommendation in case you have people visiting you from out of town and need a place to stay. The West Inn and Suites in Carlsbad is simply incredible. We stayed there over Christmas and it is by far the nicest hotel I have ever stayed at, and that includes luxury hotels in Toronto. The price is very reasonable for what you get. Here's a link:

http://www.westinnandsuites.com/

No, I am not affiliated with them in any way. I just thought since you are new to the area that you might like to know about this place for future reference.


Linda

Andrew Zack said...

To my knowledge, the site does syndicate and all the settings are there to allow it. However, Google did change their system and that my be affecting some folks.

Post a Comment

We will not publish Anonymous comments. If you would like to comment, you should sign your comment with your name, city and state, e.g., John Smith, San Diego, CA. Otherwise we will be forced to reject your comment.

Also, please do not query us here or ask if we would "be interested in" your book. Our query guidelines are clearly outlined on our website and you should follow them if you would like us to consider your work.

Thank you.