Wednesday, November 22, 2006

How to Lose a Customer Immediately

Want to lose a customer in one easy step? Refuse to stop bothering them.

I have a website. You have likely reached this blog entry through that website. My website host is GoDaddy.com. You’ve probably heard of them. They are one of, if not the, biggest website-hosting company. Sometimes, though, I worry about their cashflow. The sales they run have an air of desperation to them. The hoops of advertising one has to jump through on their website to get the simplest transaction completed make me crazy. Each one has an ad for some other product. If changing web-hosting companies wasn’t such a pain in the ass, I’d have done it a long time ago.

Anyhow, today a guy named Mitch L., from the Arizona call center of GoDaddy, calls me up and tries to sell me another year of web-hosting, supposedly at some great price. But I’m paid up through next year, so I say no, and then I tell him to put me on the Do Not Call list there and only call me about problems with my account, not to sell me things. He says he can do it, but only if I give him my personal PIN for the hosting account or the last four of my credit card number. Am I the only one who thinks that sounds phishy?

For those of you not in the know, “Phishing attacks use both social engineering and technical subterfuge to steal consumers' personal identity data and financial account credentials. Social-engineering schemes use 'spoofed' e-mails to lead consumers to counterfeit websites designed to trick recipients into divulging financial data such as credit card numbers, account usernames, passwords and social security numbers Hijacking brand names of banks, e-retailers and credit card companies, phishers often convince recipients to respond.” This quote is from
www.antiphishing.org, an organization to which GoDaddy belongs.

When I raised the security issues of phishing and that giving him such information as a PIN or the last four of a credit card number to Mitch—who called me, I did not call him—refused to put me on the Do Not Call list. I hung up and went to GoDaddy’s website and read their privacy statement. I then called their corporate offices and spoke with Justin, a supervisor there. Justin wasn’t much more help. He asked me for the last four of my credit card number, which I provided, since I called him. But, after a bit of a conversation in which I stated I thought it was unconscionable that I should have to make two phone calls to get this done, Justin insisted he had to have the last six numbers of my credit card to verify me and put through my request that GoDaddy not call me. That was the last straw. I asked for the number for Bob Parson’s, the Chairman of GoDaddy. Justin said he was unable to provide that information. So I asked for his supervisor.

At this point, I ended up with Alon, in the Office of the President. Alon is one of those guys who never quite lets you get under his skin. He’s about resolving the problem. And he did agree to check off that Do Not Call box on my account for me. But what he also told me made me furious: He said that he has powers and options that representatives on his downline do not. Now, am I the only one who thinks a frontline sales representative should have the power to check off the Do Not Call box? Should it really take three representatives, the last of which is in the Office of the President, to get a customer free of annoying sales calls?

Keep in mind that I told each and every one of these folks that it’s a federal law that they have to stop calling me when I ask them to. Justin and Alon argued with that, saying that, since I’m a customer of GoDaddy, that law isn’t applicable. Now, I’m not a lawyer, but I’m pretty sure that if I ask a company to stop calling me to sell me stuff, they have to do it. Regardless, it’s bad business to keep calling if the customer says, “Enough!” And if the company called the customer, versus the customer calling the company, that request should be honored immediately, and certainly not require the customer to divulge a PIN or credit-card number to make it happen.


So, if you are an author or publisher out there looking for a web-hosting company, I encourage you to avoid GoDaddy like the plague. If they can’t empower their frontline sales reps who call the customers to check off the Do Not Call box when the customer requests it, without backtalk, hoops, b.s. verification of information (keep in mind they called me), then how good can they be at the rest of their job?

Z

4 comments:

DED said...

I hate GoDaddy.com. The control panel interface sucks. I've got a client who, for some unknown reason, registered his new website idea with them instead of FatCow, which he's used, trouble free, for years. I tried several times to make a DNS transfer to a different webhost but it never took. I tried using the SiteBuilder software on the site but it was clunky, slow, and prone to entering so much garbage code that I came very close to calling the client up and telling him to find someone else. I tried setting up the shopping cart but I kept getting invalid domain name errors. I still can't FTP in with anything other than GoDaddy's FTP app on the site, but that seems to work ok, though I've kept files transferred to a minimum.

GoDaddy.com is awful and I will warn everyone I work with never to use them.

Ron Phillips said...

That's a typical corporate hustle story if I every heard one. Companies like GoDaddy start out small and personable, then end up corporate nightmares of consumer control. I think you're lucky you didn't end up talking to 'Bob' who amusingly had distinct Hindi accent.

I came to your blog to find about representation and leave with an anecdotal beware story.

Hope you have better luck with your next host.

Mark Del Franco said...

Hi Andy!

If you ever migrate to a new host, I've had no problems AT ALL with dreamhost.com. Easy interface and I can generally get any questions answered in the forums. I have never seen an ad or gotten a call.

Warren Contreras said...

You must have had an impace, because I got one of those GoDaddy calls today and all I had to do was press 2 to be removed from the call list.

Post a Comment

We will not publish Anonymous comments. If you would like to comment, you should sign your comment with your name, city and state, e.g., John Smith, San Diego, CA. Otherwise we will be forced to reject your comment.

Also, please do not query us here or ask if we would "be interested in" your book. Our query guidelines are clearly outlined on our website and you should follow them if you would like us to consider your work.

Thank you.