Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Miles to Go to Find a Cure

Whoo boy! Here we go again.

As many regular readers of my blog know, I recently got married. And that marriage started with a proposal at the end of a 109.3-mile bike ride through Tucson, AZ—El Tour de Tucson.

Well, my lovely wife, Nadene, has decided that we must celebrate the anniversary of our engagement by doing that bike ride again, so....

As you may also remember, when we did that ride, it was after training for months with Team in Training, part of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Thousands of riders converge on Tucson, all with one goal in mind: Finding a cure for blood-related cancers.

Training with Team in Training has been one of the most rewarding and inspirational experiences of my life and, if you haven’t done it, I strongly urge you to do so. Your perspective on life will change and you will cherish all that you have that much more.

Recently we learned that Nadene’s training mentor from last year has relapsed, and so we are feeling extra-motivated this year to raise as much as we can in donations to help find a cure for leukemia and lymphoma. Therefore, I am once again making a limited-time offer to all those authors out there who would like to help out a great cause:

Though I am currently closed to new queries and submissions, I will read your sample chapter, up to 25 pages long (I strongly suggest you send the first chapter), plus a synopsis (double-spaced) up to 5 pages long, and provide you with my thoughts and feedback on that chapter, in exchange for a donation of $100.00 to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Of course, if I love your sample chapter, I may ask for more material and this may lead to representation (no promises, though).

You may make this donation in one of two ways:

Visit my webpage at
http://www.active.com/donate/tntsdh/tntsdhAZack and make the contribution with your credit card, then mail a copy of the receipt you receive along with your sample chapter and synopsis.

Mail in a check in the amount of $100.00, payable to the “Leukemia and Lymphoma Society” along with your sample chapter and synopsis.

All donations to LLS are 100% tax deductible.

This offer expires on November 18, 2006.

I will respond within 30 days to all such submissions. Please do be sure to enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope for your response.

To recap:

• Donate $100 to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society by credit card on the website and send in your receipt, or donate by check which you will include with your sample chapter and synopsis
• Send in a sample chapter not to exceed 25 pages, along with a synopsis not to exceed 5 pages
• Include an SASE

• This offer expires on November 18, 2006

You get:

• A response within 30 days
• Possibly a request for more material if I love your sample chapter and synopsis (no promises!)
• A written response with my thoughts if I don’t, in fact, love your sample chapter or synopsis
• A tax deduction for the amount of your donation

The Zack Company, Inc. in absolutely no way makes money off this offer (unless I find a fabulous novel and represent it in a big, fat sale to a publisher). All checks should be made payable to THE LEUKEMIA AND LYMPHOMA SOCIETY.

The address for submissions is:

The Zack Company, Inc.
249 South Highway 101 # 520
Solana Beach, CA 92075-1807

This is NOT an open call for submissions. I am closed to any new submissions and queries unless those submissions are part of my efforts to raise funds for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I will return, unread, any submissions that are not a part of this offer. Please write “LLS Submission” on the envelope.

Please do visit our website and review the
Manuscript Preparation Guidelines prior to making your submission.

Thank you for helping to find the cure!

Z.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic initiative.

Question: for $20 extra, can you critique a query? (Call it an insurance policy in case the book isn't your cup of tea...)

Just a thought, hope it's not out of line.

E. Tettensor
NYC

Andrew Zack said...

I'd rather not overcomplicate things. If I agree to this, then the next guy will ask if I'll edit his chapter for an extra $100, etc.

Thanks, though, for your interest!

Anonymous said...

I readily concede your point. But you can't blame a girl for trying! I find the query infinitely more difficult to craft than the novel...

E. Tettensor
NYC

Post a Comment

We will not publish Anonymous comments. If you would like to comment, you should sign your comment with your name, city and state, e.g., John Smith, San Diego, CA. Otherwise we will be forced to reject your comment.

Also, please do not query us here or ask if we would "be interested in" your book. Our query guidelines are clearly outlined on our website and you should follow them if you would like us to consider your work.

Thank you.