Monday, August 28, 2006

Hydrate or die...or, well, get dropped from the paceline

I have to confess that this was a hard weekend of training. The move from New York to Southern California has meant a change in topography, and my bike rides are now filled with steeper and longer hills. This weekend, I trained with Team in Training and we rode 35 hilly miles. I was riding with the “C,” or fastest team and, for the first time, I really struggled with the speed. Up around 19 to 22 mph, I found my legs felt dead and I just couldn’t keep up with the paceline. A hard lesson learned about hydration, I think, since that “dead” feeling in my legs generally=dehydrated.

I rode again on Sunday, with a friend, and we did a hard 25 miles. Again, based on what I drank and how I felt, I’d say dehydration was a significant factor. Not to mention that we stopped by a friend’s party in the afternoon and one margarita left me loopy! Now, I may be a lightweight when it comes to drinking, but not that light. This week, I will be paying a lot more attention to fluids.

For those of you who have not been reading my blog on a regular basis, I’m once again mentoring with Team in Training, a part of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. My wife and I will be riding in El Tour de Tucson in November. This is a century-plus event, meaning that it is longer than 100 miles. We are both fundraising and hope to raise about $6,000 between the two of us.

This year, this ride has extra meaning for us. We rode last year and got engaged at the end of the ride. During her training, Nadene had a mentor, Ted, who was a leukemia survivor. Just as training was beginning this year, we learned that Ted had relapsed. His cancer is back. Each day, we get a health update from Ted. Here’s yesterdays, which I found particularly sobering:

Didn't sleep quite as well last night as the night before, but I got in some reading in the wee hours. I had a platelet transfusion. I finally got to talk to my doctor about my prognosis today, and he said that it is worse than before my first transplant. That is generally what I expected. He didn't give me any numbers or anything, but we both understood. We are still going for a cure. Whatever it takes.

The rashes are starting to heal. I actually have a few square inches on my body that are not either bright red or purple. I should charge admission to see the amazing eggplant man!

I have not had a fever all day until this evening. My nurse thinks it is a conspiracy to make her take blood cultures. As I am writing this I am shaking mildly.

I also got a haircut today! It seems like every hair that falls out of your head wants to find its way into your mouth and it drives me nuts! Glad to get rid of it.

Needless to say, whenever we’re on the bikes, struggling, we know that it is nothing compared to what Ted is going through.

As a part of my fundraising, I’ve made an offer in a prior blog posting. But I also want to clarify that you can make a donation regardless of your interest in getting your material read. Every little bit helps. It can just be something you do as a good deed.

Remember, cancer is a “six degrees” disease. If you don’t have it, you know someone who has it. If you don’t know someone who has it, you know someone who knows someone who has it. Someone somewhere in your life has been, is being, or will be affected in a negative way by some form of cancer. So, please, if you can, visit
http://www.active.com/donate/tntsdh/tntsdhAZack and make a donation. All donations are 100% tax deductible.

Thank you.

Z.

1 comment:

SRHowen said...

Get a camel-back they work great and hey for training they will give you some extra drag to build up strength.

See a lot of bike people come through here. A few of them use them.

Post a Comment

We will not publish Anonymous comments. If you would like to comment, you should sign your comment with your name, city and state, e.g., John Smith, San Diego, CA. Otherwise we will be forced to reject your comment.

Also, please do not query us here or ask if we would "be interested in" your book. Our query guidelines are clearly outlined on our website and you should follow them if you would like us to consider your work.

Thank you.