Saturday, March 04, 2006

Go ahead. Blow your horn.

I've gotten a few comments and emails asking me why I had the Comments featured set to only registered users. The answer was that a few posts had been put up here that I thought were inappropriate and they were anonymous. So I thought if I forced folks to register, that would result in folks stating their opinions, but requiring them to identify themselves. I have no problem with folks voicing a reasonable opinion, but I don't appreciate negative comments posted anonymously.

That said, I have changed the settings so that anyone can post a comment. However, I ask that you at least sign your name and city to the comments (like you see in a magazine, e.g., Andy Zack, New York, NY). Comment moderation is on, meaning that I will receive and be able to approve or disapprove of comments prior to posting. Anonymous comments will not be posted.

I hope that you find this a reasonable request and look forward to reading your comments.

Finally, please feel free to post general questions using the comments field. I will answer them in the comments field or I will post a new entry with the question and answer. Or you can visit my site and use the FAQs form to send me a question (but no queries!).

Thank you.

Z

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Andrew, this is a more than reasonable compromise. Thank you.

ADM said...

I had a question...it had occurred to me several times in my prior submissions of work to author friends' litagents that...the possibility existed the new work could taint the reputation of the existing client. Meaning, it's not due to the actions of the new submitter, rather, due to the content of the material itself which might cause undue strain on the relationship between existing author and agent.

I have some friends who are keen on making use of my contacts, and I am afraid to submit their names onward to certain contacts -- not because I don't like them, rather, because their material might not be up to snuff. These are good friends, but I don't have the heart to tell them that they've not got what it takes (I mean, how would I know that anyways)?

I think it's a legit enough question to ask whether my fears are grounded...or...?

Andrew Zack said...

It seems to me that there's an easy solution here: Read their stuff and only recommend it to your agent if you like it. Otherwise, give your friend the benefit of your experience and hope they take constructive criticism in the spirit in which it is offered.

Post a Comment

We will not publish Anonymous comments. If you would like to comment, you should sign your comment with your name, city and state, e.g., John Smith, San Diego, CA. Otherwise we will be forced to reject your comment.

Also, please do not query us here or ask if we would "be interested in" your book. Our query guidelines are clearly outlined on our website and you should follow them if you would like us to consider your work.

Thank you.