Monday, November 14, 2005

How Will Jordan Deal With The Defilers?

Dear Reader:

Starting today, I’m pleased to present one of my clients as a guest blogger. It’s my hope that in the coming months a number of my clients will be writing posts for this page. I think it helps readers better get to know my list and my clients. I hope you enjoy reading these posts.

Best wishes,
Z
________________________________

Once again a nation finds itself the target of terrorists hiding behind Islam. Last Wednesday, November 9, 2005 individuals affiliated with an Iraq-based mutation of Al Qaeda struck three Amman, Jordan locations. At one of these, the Radisson SAS Hotel, as guests reveled at an Arab wedding reception, a suicide bomber detonated an explosive belt.

Among the many dead were the fathers of both the bride and groom. Shaken, tears in his eyes, the groom Ashraf Akhras pleaded, “This is not Islam.”

Ashraf’s poignant words will hopefully tip decent, moderate Muslims against supporting—even philosophically—militant Islamic extremists. Certainly the government of Jordan appears incensed and ready to deal with those who defiled a Muslim wedding celebration. But when Jordanian authorities locate the surviving planners and financiers, what should be done?

There is a precedent...

In 1972, after the massacre of eleven Israeli Olympic athletes by Black September terrorists, Golda Meir’s Israeli Government anguished over a response. A tough woman, Golda decided such wanton brutality toward Israelis, coupled with defiling the Olympic ethos (nations setting aside political differences for athletic competition), deserved extraordinary action: Operation Wrath of God.

In not less than three nonfiction books, The Hit Team, Vengeance, and One Day in September, as well as the forthcoming Steven Spielberg film Munich, Israeli Wrath of God operatives track down and kill Black September gunmen and planners of the Olympic Massacre. Inherent in the story is the moral conflict created by suspending normal due process of law to mete out summary justice.

No less compelling, despite the incredible efforts of the Israelis, one of the Black September terrorists—Jamal Al-Gashey—did elude them.

My novel, The Lost Assassin, picks up this gripping tale three decades later as Mossad agent Esther Harel (whose Israeli athlete father died during the Munich massacre) uncovers evidence of Jamal Al-Gashey hiding in Los Angeles. As she hunts Al-Gashey in America, runs afoul of Russian Mafiya in Hollywood, and digs at the nagging secret of the Los Angeles Police officer aiding her, Esther Harel grapples with her ultimate quandary. Ordered only to locate Al-Gashey, she wonders if she is successful will she be able to resist her desire for personal revenge?

As for what Jordan will do when confronting their defilers—long trials offering a pulpit for Al Qaeda rhetoric, or swift summary justice—I tend to expect the latter.

Brent Ferguson

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brent,

I think it’s interesting that people equate what is going on in the Middle East as anything to do with Islam. Maybe there is some truth to it and maybe it’s all a ruse? Just maybe someone or something is really pulling the strings and bin laden is a puppet? Could the events that we’re witnessing be a distraction for the real purpose of whoever is responsible? Dig into the past. Maybe somewhere deep within the desert there are secrets that haven’t been discovered?

Like swift justice, anything is possible. True? Sometimes justice takes time...

Brent Ferguson said...

Anonymous,

I think the groom's comment (after losing his father and father-in-law) bears out that militant Islam is the fulcrum of the Middle East, yet I agree with you that many other forces come into play: additional religions, nationalism, internal religious disputes, and a boatload of history--just to name a few. I do enjoy a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy, though, but I'm not sure what it is that's out in the desert (other than an ocean of oil). As for Bin Laden, my best guess is that he's insane in a Hitler/Stalin/Charley Manson sort of way and nothing more elegant than that.

Brent Ferguson

Bernita said...

Brent, well put.
Thank you.

AzGhostWriter said...

Brent,

Okay, I agree that the groom's comments were inline with his emotional state of mind. Yet, it is also quite possible that there is a grand scheme to this turmoil that most people can't comprehend.

Writers recreate but don't invent history. I can envision events unfolding as they were defined since the early '70s when Iran fell into chaos. I think an interesting story of fiction exists for a clever writer to exploit.

Brent Ferguson said...

Azghostwriter,

Anything's possible, and we're certainly not being told exactly what's going on much of the time--otherwise there would be no reason for top security clearances (our manipulated gas prices make me scan the sky over the local minimart for Black Helicopters every time I fill up).

Still, I believe radical attempts to hijack mainstream Islam, and ultimately turn moderate Muslim countries against the West are at the core of our present conflict. I'm finishing up the outline for my next novel which utilizes a ghastly, sacrilegious act to realize just this premise.

I do agree, though, that any story, no matter how audacious, can be well executed as long as a "clever" writer successfully walks the tightrope of plausibility.

Brent

AzGhostWriter said...

Brent,

Sounds like you got the gest of what I was saying, which is all I can do. I did enjoy reading the plot for The Lost Assassins and hope it sells big time. I'll have to remember and purchase a copy.

Good luck on the outline and book. My forth and fifth novels will be set in the Middle East, but have a different premise. I write horror/suspense (thrillers) so going to Iraq in the near future is scary business.

Cheers,

Brent said...

Azghostwriter,

Thanks for the kind words. Good luck with your future novels set in the Middle East. If you go to Iraq, keep your head down.

Brent

AzGhostWriter said...

Brent, I apprecitate the concern. I will try to keep my head about me.

Jeanine Hodson said...

From the little synopsis that I read, I would love to see how this tale of yours unfolds, especiallly since it has subject matter that is so timely. I find it easier to assimilate facts about history when the subject matter is woven around characters that make you care. When will the book be out?

Brent said...

Jeanine,

I appreciate your interest in THE LOST ASSASSIN. Currently, Andy Zack has the novel out on submission. We'll keep you advised when something happens at a publisher.

Brent

Post a Comment

We will not publish Anonymous comments. If you would like to comment, you should sign your comment with your name, city and state, e.g., John Smith, San Diego, CA. Otherwise we will be forced to reject your comment.

Also, please do not query us here or ask if we would "be interested in" your book. Our query guidelines are clearly outlined on our website and you should follow them if you would like us to consider your work.

Thank you.